CGP is the UK’s No.1 Educational Publisher with an annual turnover of over £36m. We started business in 1995 and now employ around 240 people across four sites just south of the Lake District. We’re an independent company and manage the entire editorial process in-house, from design to typesetting — then the books are printed in Newcastle. From the first concept to the final product, our business is almost entirely based in the UK.
We’re completely opposed to Modern Slavery. We bend over backwards to recruit the best people — and make the most of their talents. In return, we make sure all our employees are treated fairly and rewarded for their work. We meet all the standards set out in the Ethical Trading Initiatives Base Code.
- CGP’s professional in-house HR team handles all our recruitment campaigns, so we’re involved every step of the way. We rarely use external recruitment companies.
- Our recruitment process is non-discriminatory.
- We thoroughly check that all candidates have the right to work in the UK and there’s no chance of forced or bonded labour.
- We pay all our staff significantly in excess of the National Minimum Wage.
- We’re proud of our safe, healthy and comfortable working environment — and we’ve set up a Health & Safety Committee and Policy to make sure it stays that way.
- We regularly review our training to maintain awareness of Modern Slavery issues. If a member of staff has concerns that we’re not living up to our high standards, we want them to report it.
- And finally, we’re determined to keep meeting the Ethical Trading Initiatives Base Code. We regularly assess every part of the business to be certain we’re on track.
That’s CGP… but what about our suppliers?
We only want to use suppliers who share our values about ethical trading. In 2020, we’ll be working with our biggest suppliers (printers, delivery services and packaging) to make sure they comply with the ETI Base Code — or they’re well on the way to complying.
This statement was approved by the CGP Board of Directors.
Leila Miller — Commercial Director.
26th February 2020.