Job Description — C# Fullstack Developer
At CGP we’ve been growing steadily since we began writing books in the mid-1990s. We’re now one of the fastest growing SMEs in the North West, and although we operate in a digital age, our revision guides, practice papers and study materials are as popular as ever, with sales growth constantly exceeding expectation. We now have over 1,000 titles which are used in schools and homes throughout the UK.
We believe that being able to respond quickly to industry changes and customer needs gives us competitive advantage. That’s why our business systems are all bespoke — written and maintained in-house by a team of first class developers. Because we are growing so rapidly (we expect to sell over 10 million books this year), there’s an ever-increasing need to improve our operational systems and offer technical support to our publishing colleagues as they expand our range of digital products. We are also due to launch a new ecommerce website to keep up with customer demand for our products.
Reporting to the Head of IT Development you’ll be a key member of this small but highly skilled software development team. You’ll have a sound commercial background, with proven knowledge of C# — ideally working in an AGILE environment. Comfortable with the principles of OOP and computing fundamentals, you’ll be used to working with colleagues in all areas of the business and at all levels.
- Developing quality code that meets the specific requirements of the business
- Breaking requirements down into stories / tasks
- Documenting, testing and supporting your code
- Presenting solutions / ideas to your peers
- Ensuring effective use of our source control system
- Contributing to, and learning from, the collective knowledge of the team
- Understanding relational database concepts
Personal Qualities / Attributes
Degree educated and up to date with the latest tools and technologies, you’ll be a self-starter and natural problem solver — someone who enjoys finding solutions to complex technical problems. We will expect you to:
- Be a first class developer who is just as comfortable learning from others and receiving feedback as mentoring less experienced members of the team
- Have a strong work ethic — putting in whatever effort is needed to get the job done to a high standard at all times
- Communicate confidently, both verbally and in writing to your customer (especially being able to de-jargonise explanations for non-technical colleagues)
- Demonstrate excellent project and time management skills
- Be logical and thorough — obsess about detail and getting things right first time (eg quality code)
- Be flexible and open-minded about projects and priorities, always willing to do what’s best for CGP
More information on how to apply can be found here.