Job Description — Graduate / Trainee Editor
At CGP, we obsess about high standards for everything — our people, our processes and (most of all) our products. We’re experts at making the best books, fast!
As a Trainee Editor, you’ll be learning how to create perfect CGP pages, usually working from raw material, editing existing material, or writing new material for yourself.
You’ll report to an Editing Team Manager, and receive plenty of guidance and feedback from the Senior Editors on your team.
What the job involves:
- Editing or rewriting text to make explanations super-clear and easy to understand
- Finding and editing graphics to illustrate the most important bits on a page
- Typesetting text and graphics to produce the best possible finished pages
- Proofreading pages with immaculate attention to detail
- Constantly improving your software skills to become ever slicker at your job
- Tackling any other tasks that are needed to get each book project done
- Developing (over time) a brilliant understanding of the best way to create a book that works well for the reader
And most importantly, you’ll do all of this in CGP’s instantly-recognisable house style!
The qualities you’ll need for the role:
You’ll be extremely bright with an excellent academic record. A high level of literacy is a must, since you’ll need to express complex ideas in everyday language. You’ll need to be good with numbers too — they crop up everywhere!
On top of all this, you’ll have:
A solid grasp on grammar and vocabulary and will combine this with our CGP style
Excellent attention to detail so that you…
- always produce impeccable output
- spot the tiniest mistakes when proofreading
Good IT skills, you’ll…
- be confident with a computer
- get to grips with software and typesetting quickly
- always want to improve (find new shortcuts etc.)
A great personality and be…
- easy to work with
- flexible and open–minded
- comfortable with (and happy to seek out) criticism
- a fan of our products
More information on how to apply can be found here.