Job Description — Grounds Manager
We’re looking for a talented person to take full accountability for the grounds at one of our beautiful private estates within the Lake District. This large estate includes fields, woodlands, ponds and more formal gardens located near to the house, with views to the southern fells.
Working closely with the property owner, the Grounds Manager will work to an exceptionally high standard and will play a hugely important role in ensuring the efficient day-to-day running of the estate grounds. Responsibilities will include general maintenance, development and improvement of the private estate. Accountability will also extend to woodlands, ponds and hard landscaping projects. Responsibilities exclude the formal gardens which are looked after by a separate team of gardeners, working directly with the property owner.
Whilst knowledge and previous experience of grounds, estate or countryside management are essential, we’re just as interested in your personal qualities. The right candidate will care deeply about their work and their customers. You’ll have a genuine understanding of what it means to take full responsibility and ownership and will be clear about the standards you expect. You’ll also feel at ease leading by example, and challenging others to meet your high standards.
An exceptionally high level of customer service is required, along with great written and verbal communication skills. An ability to juggle projects and tasks and keep on top of the status of each is paramount to this role, ensuring that all jobs are controlled, prioritised, planned and completed. You’ll make sure systems are in place to track each project so that you can be sure you and the wider estates team deliver on every promise.
You will have an eye for fine detail and care deeply about getting things right. You’ll also be proactive and great at pre-empting where things might go wrong. The role relies on personality, energy, care, trust and collaboration. Building a good working relationship and a sense of trust with the owner has to be your No. 1 priority.
It is crucial that you’re adaptable, flexible and willing to do whatever is needed on a day-to-day basis to maintain and improve the management of the grounds. Honesty, pace and a desire for completion are essential.
This role represents a superb opportunity to develop your career and make a real impact.
Reporting to CGP’s Estates Manager, David Bulman, you’ll work very closely with the property and company owner. You’ll also work with both CGP’s Managing Director and Head of Estates.
As Grounds Manager, your responsibilities will be extremely varied but in particular you will:
- Make sure the estate grounds are maintained to a high standard
- Produce robust work programmes and tracking systems for all projects, tasks and jobs
- Draw up job specifications, identifying the need for specialist contractor resource
- Be accountable for and lead all grounds employees and contractors whilst on site, managing workflow and ensuring all work is delivered to a high standard
- Provide energy and liveliness to the estate, injecting personality and a can-do attitude
- Communicate with the owner regularly in an agreed manner
- Be a visible and credible presence on the estate — people will know you’re on it!
- Deal with operational issues (with a focus on solutions, not problems), acting as facilitator where appropriate
- Spot where things aren’t going well and put solutions in place to address the problem
- Deal with adhoc tasks as agreed with the owner
- Make sure all relevant colleagues feel informed and up to date
- Prepare and review appropriate risk assessments
Skills & Experience
- Experienced in grounds, estate or countryside management
- Proven track record of providing exceptional customer service and making a real impact, easing the burden on those around you
Flexible and willing to take on whatever needs doing, you’ll have a strong and lively personality and be:
- A great communicator — able to engage and get on with people at all levels, including the property and company owner
- Able to react quickly to changing situations, without getting disheartened
- A real team player who’s able to enthuse others
- Forward thinking and able to plan ahead
- Highly organised — someone who thrives on juggling projects and priorities
- Meticulous with very high standards
- Prepared to challenge work if it’s not up to standard (employees and contractors)
- Driven with the energy to make things happen (obsessed with completion)
- Honest and open — share when things don’t go to plan and suggest a way forward
- Aware of your limitations and know when to ask for input
- Hands on — willing to get stuck in
- Self-aware and open-minded, seeking feedback and acting on it positively
More information on how to apply can be found here.