£21,500 with excellent benefits
CGP is the UK’s No.1 educational publisher. We’ve been growing rapidly and there are lots of exciting new products in the pipeline. We need to recruit talented new Trainee Editors to help us create them, and that’s where you come in...
We’re looking for graduates with a mix of academic backgrounds to become an essential part of our publishing team. Whether you’re a final year student or have work experience already, we’d love to hear from you.
You’ll work in project teams with experienced Editors and Senior Editors producing material to make subjects come alive for students — we’ll teach you our unique writing style! To be considered for this role, you must have a good eye for detail and have:
- At least a 2:1 degree and AAB at A-Level (or a very good reason why not!)
- The analytical skills to pick out the most important bits of a subject
- The flair to explain things in a clear yet engaging way
- A flexible and positive attitude in everything you do
If finding ways to get the best out of software excites you, there’s also scope in time to work with our Editing Technical team.
Whatever your academic background, we can offer you a rewarding career with a well‑established and trusted brand, as well as a great working environment on the southern edge of the Lake District.
Emily (Senior Editor)
Luke (Technical Editor)
At CGP, we obsess about high standards for everything — our people, our processes and (most of all) our products. We’re experts at making the best books, fast!
As a Trainee Editor, you’ll learn how to create brilliant CGP pages, receiving detailed feedback and guidance from the Senior Editors on your team.
What the job involves:
- Editing or writing text, making explanations clear and easy to understand
- Finding and editing graphics
- Combining text and graphics to produce beautifully laid out pages
- Learning CGP’s instantly recognisable house style
- Taking responsibility for the quality of your work
- Constantly improving your software skills to become ever slicker at your job
- Tackling any other tasks that are needed to get each project done
The qualities you’ll need for the role:
You’ll be extremely bright with an excellent academic record and some creative flair. You’ll have:
- A confident command of English, including:
- the ability to express complex ideas in everyday language
- a solid grasp of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Excellent attention to detail so that you...
- always produce impeccable output
- spot the tiniest mistakes when proofreading
- Good IT skills, and you'll get to grips with new software quickly
- Great communication skills
You'll also be:
- Comfortable with (and happy to seek out) criticism
- A team player
It’s best if you’re also a fan of our products!
At CGP, we’re always keen to make computers do the routine stuff so that we don’t have to. Some of our editors have a technical specialism — they work out how to automate time-consuming processes, how to harness new software to best effect, etc. So if you love problem-solving and have an affinity for all things techy, we could have a role for you.
Sadly we’ve just passed the closing date for our Summer / Autumn 2020 intake, but we always have plenty of exciting products in the pipeline, so we’re bound to be recruiting again soon.
If you’re a top graduate who’s great at explaining things to others, either drop us a speculative application (please include your A-Level / GCSE exam subjects and grades) or keep an eye out for more opportunities later in the year.