£24 – 34k, Broughton-in-Furness
Strawberry tarts, speciality sausages and wilja — just some of the exciting things we sell in our village shops (and if you’ve never come across a wilja before, it’s basically a posh spud!).
CGP’s renowned as a book publishing business, but we’re also passionate about our local community — that’s why we stepped in to run these businesses last year when the owners retired. We’ve learned a lot about butcher’s, baker’s and grocer’s in 12 months and it’s now time to strengthen our retail management team. If you’re up for joining an unusual (but very successful) company, read on.
You’ll be totally obsessed with customer service and high standards, so you’ll be on top of all the tiny details. The shops employ around 30 people (full- and part-time) so you’ll be a great people manager — and although a background in retail would be an advantage, it isn’t essential.
If you’re excited by planning Christmas turkey sales, negotiating all of our flour (and flower!) prices and learning the difference between a stilton and a plain old blue, this could be just right for you. And as it’s retail, remember you’ll be expected to work some Saturdays too.
As part of the on-site management team for three adjacent shops in the busy village of Broughton-in-Furness (Butcher’s, Grocer’s and Bakery), you’ll take responsibility for all aspects of the trading operations. You’ll act primarily in a management capacity but won’t be afraid to be ‘hands on’, serving customers or stocking shelves. Your key aim is to ensure the whole team delivers a customer experience that is second to none — customer service you can be really proud of.
- Act as Duty Manager — managing the team on shift and dealing with any staff matters as they arise, including absences (and related cover) and timesheets
- Be responsible for all day-to-day issues arising in the shops, handling and resolving customer queries
- Ensure the team keep the shops clean, tidy and well-stocked at all times
- Engage with suppliers and the wider CGP business
- Ensure the smooth running of the back office (financials, stock ordering and general paperwork)
- Ensure all end-of-day procedures and financial records are completed accurately and in a timely manner (cashing up, securing cash in the agreed manner and locking up the properties)
- Ensure the appropriate daily checks and procedures have been completed (including those required for H&S or property maintenance purposes)
- Take on your own projects, always thinking about ways to improve systems and processes
Friendly and positive in your approach, you’ll be brilliant at customer service and a great team player. You’ll have the ability and drive to ensure your work is completed to very high standards and with great efficiency. Flexibility to cover all shifts (including weekends) is essential.
You’ll also need to have bags of integrity and be:
- An excellent communicator with great interpersonal skills
- A self-starter who can take the initiative but knows when to collaborate and when to ask for guidance
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Willing to muck in and help with anything
- Able to work under pressure and juggle a number of different tasks simultaneously
- Comfortable challenging team members when something’s not quite right
To apply, simply email us your CV and a cracking covering letter.
Closing Date: Monday 18th October 2021