Salary to attract the best (plus generous benefits)
We’re proud to be the UK’s No. 1 Educational Publisher and holding this top spot for the last decade isn’t just an accident. It’s quite simple really — we employ 250 fantastic people and make brilliant products that people love. And last year we turned over a not-too-shabby £40m!
CGP’s a quirky, owner-managed business with not even a tiny hint of corporate blandness. Sound refreshing? If you’re Big 4 qualified, get a real buzz from delivering exciting projects and have seen enough historical reporting, this could be just the ticket.
You’ll need more than a calculator and sharp pencil to succeed in this role. Reporting to the Board, you’ll be a great communicator, curious and very flexible. You’ll roll up your sleeves and get stuck into all sorts of commercial and non-commercial projects — there’s no room for egos here, but there’s bags of opportunity to impress.
In return, you’ll get to work in an exciting business with lots of lovely people… and in a fabulous Lake District location too. What’s not to like? Go on, email us your CV and a cracking covering letter telling us why you’re the type of accountant we’re looking for.
Most people know us for our books. Fewer people realise that CGP also runs a village filling station, butchers, grocers and bakery, and manages large areas of park and woodland for the benefit of local residents and visitors to the area.
Alongside growing and developing our publishing business, we’re also committed to enhancing the local environment and supporting the community. To achieve these aims we need top-class, well-organised chartered accountants who can manage and deliver projects across a broad spectrum of environments. One day you might be working on a commercial sales project... another day it might be all about planning permission for local land development or reviewing and agreeing legal contracts.
To be considered for this full-time role, you’ll have experience in a similar role where you’ve made a significant impact. Ideally, you’ll also have some legal experience or an interest in legal affairs.
In this role, you’ll manage and deliver key projects. You’ll:
- Take full responsibility for project planning and organisation
- Roll up your sleeves and make things happen (you won’t have a team to delegate to!)
- Work successfully with colleagues internally and externally, to deliver projects on time and to CGP’s high standards
- Communicate effectively with CGP’s senior team and any external contacts
- Recognise and respond to changing needs and requirements as priorities shift
- Drive your own progression, development and career path in CGP
Skills and Attributes
To succeed in this role, you’ll be a “Big 4” qualified chartered accountant operating at a senior level in an organisation. You’ll be:
- A driving force in seeing projects through to completion with positive results
- A problem-solver, happy to manage projects and also chip in to get things done
- Discreet and comfortable dealing with confidential matters
- Diplomatic and credible in your dealings with colleagues and external contacts
- Able to deal confidently with senior people both within and outside the business, building a good rapport and representing both CGP and its owner
- Able to assimilate and evaluate information quickly, and act on your findings
- Excellent at making informed judgements
- Comfortable working independently with minimal management